Institute of Special Education
The Arya Vidya Mandir Institute of Special Education strives to build a society of caregivers who will provide a supportive and nurturing learning environment for students. We do this by providing training in skills and strategies to teachers, parents of children with special needs and persons in the field of education to ensure that children will develop love for learning and reach their potential to become contributing members of the society.
AVM Institute of Special Education conducts a part-time certificate course, ‘Introduction to Learning Disabilities’. It is open to teachers, parents, therapists and all others working in the field of education and child welfare. The course aims at creating awareness of students’academic learning difficulties. Eminent persons in the field of medicine, psychology and education share their vast knowledge and experience, which helps trainees understand how students learn and what their difficulties are. Equipped with this knowledge, the trainees will be able to identify students with learning difficulties, assess their strengths and areas of need and take remedial action. The trainees learn to look at the problem holistically – from the parents’, the teachers’ as well as the students’ perspective. The course is conducted in two modules – June and November. Each module has 140 hours of classroom instruction in addition to the practical work through case study.
- Spread awareness of Learning Disabilities
- Train teachers to identify students with learning difficulties
- Enhance teachers’ skills so they can modify the class room environment to support students with special needs
- Help parents to understand the difficulties of their children
- Train the participants in various strategies so they can facilitate students’ learning.
- Change the perspective of the participants on teaching and learning so a conducive environment for learning is created.
- All Students have to have a minimum qualification of having passed H.S.C. or its equivalent.
- Regular school teachers, special educators, parents of children with special needs and persons who are working in the field of education
- Candidates will be selected on the basis of personal interview.
“Introduction to Learning Disabilities” is a part time, 4-month certificate course conducted by Arya Vidya Mandir Institute of Special Education. The faculty includes practising experienced persons from the field of education, psychology and medicine. Certification criteria: Completion certificate will be awarded to those who complete all the assignments, score an aggregate of 50% marks and attend at least 80% of the classes The course is conducted at Arya Vidya mandir (Bandra West). On Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays classes are held between 4:30 p.m to 6:30 p.m On Saturdays between 10a.m. to 1p.m. We conduct two such four month modules, one commences in June and the other in November.
Arya Vidya Mandir Bandra West School
St. Cyril Road, Bandra (West),
Extension : 109